Sylvie's First Day at the Track

(Just spinning today, I need to write down my progress with Sylvie.)

Took Sylvie out for a quick spin yesterday.

Kokeiltiin Sylvin kanssa vähän.
koeajo rukilla 1
I think I got the hang of it fairly quickly, but turns out, the wheel is like a supercharged drop spindle. It's incredibly fast! And fun, too!

Aika nopeasti se alkoi sujua, mutta rukki on kyllä nopea peli kun värttinään vertaa.
koeajo rukilla 2
I played with the green BFL, but I ran out, so the next spinning pictures will be more exciting. I can't promise there will be something else besides Heffalump yarns, though.

Tää on viiminen erä vihriää, niin että ensi kerralla sitten eriväristä Möhköfanttia tarjolla..
värttinä vs rukki tilkut
This last picture shows my third try with the spindle (right), and my first try with the wheel (left). I got used to the spindle and got somewhat even light sport-weight yarn with it. However, I feel I'm back in square one with Sylvie. There were times when we found a common ground, but it will take a while to get used to the wheel. I do like the consistency and the rhythm of it, and even though Sylvie did put up a fight when I fixed the wheel, she behaved well when I tried spinning with her. She needs a couple of tweaks still: the wheel rolls evenly, but there's a clunk coming from the axel (I think it'll go away if I get the doubletreadle kit) and she needs a nylon driveband and a new flyer eventually, but that should make her a perfectly functioning wheel.

Next time, less spinning (maybe), more knitting - and not just swatches!

Viimisessä kuvassa on kolmas (ja toistaiseksi viimeinen) erä värttinällä kehrättyä (oikealla), ja ensimmäinen rukkiyritys (vasemmalla). Kerkesin tottua värttinään mukavasti ja sain sillä yllättävän tasaista lankaa aikaan. Sylttyräisen kanssa tuntui kuin olisi palannut takaisin lähtöruutuun. Ajoittain jopa tuntui, että sain juonesta kiinnikin, mutta menee varmana aikaa, ennen kuin kaikki Sylvin salat on selvillä. Tykkään hirmuisesti rukin rytmistä ja tasaisuudesta, ja vaikka Sylversson (rakas lapsi jne) pisti hanttiin korjauksen aikana, rukki käyttäytyi varsin mallikkaasti kehrättäessä. Pyörä pyörii nyt tasaisesti, pientä kolinaa kuuluu akselista (mutta se korjautunee jos hankin doubletreadle-paketin), ja puuvillainen nyöri vaihtuu muoviseen, joten mukavasti toimivasta rukista taitaa tulla erittäin hyvin toimiva sellainen.

Ens kerralla vähempi kehruuta (ehkä) ja enempi neulontaa - eikä pelkkiä näytelappuja!

3 comments:

Annika deGroot said...

Are you here somewhere in Washington? I found you on Ravelry and followed links to your blog. If you are here - welcome to we-have-weird-bouts-of-snow-in April Washington!

Tuulia said...

annika: in fact I am, we just moved to Bothell a month ago :) This weather has been so weird, there was over 7ft of snow in Snoqualmie Pass last Sunday..

Annika said...

Welcome to weird Washington! I live in Clearview which is on the north side of Bothell - so it looks like we haunt the same places!